Who’s ready for truffle crostini accompanied by a glass of the sublime Cortonese Syrah wine whilst watching the sun slowly set over the far reaching views of the Val di chiani and the green rolling hills of Siena? The scene hasn’t changed much in two millennia! It’s easy to imagine the Roman legions trooping along the Umbrella Pine lined avenues or even the Etruscans who predated them!
Following our highly successful photography holidays Italy held last June 2015 in Cortona, we’re organising two new trips for 2016.
Everyone had a superb time in May last year, from exploring the hidden churches and hill top villages scattered around the Niccone valley to the Etruscan city gates of Perugia and the sublime cooking at Poggio al Sole. Cortona was perfect with its lazy cafes, maze of medeaval streets and views to die for.
This year we’re holding the photography workshops in Italy from the 2nd June to 6th June and the 28th July to 1st Aug. We are staying in the beautiful Hotel Italia, a restored 17th Century Palazzo only a few yards from the main square Piazza Republicca. The beauty of staying in central Cortona is that it’s so easy to disappear for 10 mins with new friends before dinner and find a forgotten corner for a prosecco, espresso or gelato!
The morning photography courses in Italy will take place in Hotel Italia and focus on:
- The exposure triangle (aperture, shutter speed and ISO), how to optimise it and putting it into use on location together,
- Composition “rules” and ways to implement it in your own work,
- Light – where to look for it and how to make it and finally
- Approach – how to create projects that will take each student’s work to the next level.
Following a spot of splendid lunch accompanied by a glass (or two) of Rose, Lillie will tutor and guide students as they practice enhanced skills in the spectacular countryside and quaint towns that surround Cortona.
Each afternoon provides a different beautiful setting (Please get in touch regarding location itineraries) to practice the skills learnt at the morning photography workshop. Lillie will work alongside students helping to refine their search for the perfect image and then find the right light on location and capture it.
The evenings will be spent enjoying the food and wine with delights created by some of our favourite restaurants in and around Cortona. Last year, Poggio al Sole provided a sumptuous al fresco banquet on their beautiful terrace, where we had fun until the late hours!
Additionally and pending time Lillie will critique the days photography work over dinner and on the last evening in Piazza Signorelli Lillie will present (tongue in cheek)awards to the star photographers!
Just so you know –
- There will be a maximum of 8 students taking part in Lillies photography course in Italy.
And our photography holidays Italy will include –
- Scheduled airport pickup and drop off from Perugia airport (Cortona is easily accessible from Rome and Pisa airports via train and we can provide pickup from Cortona station). Unscheduled airport transfers can be organised at an extra cost.
- All scheduled journeys throughout the stay.
- 4 nights single room occupancy with private bathroom at Hotel Italia in Cortona (doubles available).
- All breakfasts.
- 3 evening dinners + wine.
- 4 lunches + wine (including 2 packed lunches).
- Wine tasting evening.
- All photography tuition.
- A professional guided historic tour of Cortona town centre and museum.
We’re all looking forward to some wonderful experiences in Cortona, please don’t hesitate to take a look for yourself on our website.
Lillie is more than happy to take time to have a chat with you and talk you through the holiday, however, please be aware that she may not have an impartial view on our photography workshop in Italy… as she can’t wait to get back out there!